Based in London, UK
1st September 2009
Press / Business Contact:
Rose Lipman Building
43 De Beauvoir Road
+44 (0)7973 658033
Playniac makes thinky games. We're a London-based studio that produces digital games on multiple platforms and experiments with game design in all forms.
Playniac was founded in 2009 by game designer and developer Rob Davis. We run a design-led studio where the cornerstone of our development process is iterative design. We champion techniques such as interactive wireframing, paper prototying and digital prototyping, sometimes making entirely playable games without computers. Playniac's talented core team handles game design, art and code; supplemented by a network of specialist contractors and freelancers. Playniac is a TIGA Awards 2016 finalist for Best Small Studio.Independent work
Playniac has always created its own games, starting with globe-trotting, non-digital crowd game Cat On Yer Head in 2010, an IndieCade 2013 Official Selection. We extended International Racing Squirrels to become an IndieCade 2012 finalist iPad game; won Abertay Prototype Fund support for our fast-action strategy game Great Leader, featured at Geek 2014 and IndieCade East 2014; and published the Cat On Yer Head Storybook which was an IndieCade 2014 Official Selection. We are currently working on Insane Robots, a TIGA Awards 2016 finalist for Best Strategy Game and coming to Steam, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in 2017.Client work
Playniac has won commissions to create games such as Serious Play Awards 2012 winner International Racing Squirrels (Channel 4), Battlefield Academy (BBC) and journey to Fossil Island (British Gas). We developed several games for Amplify Education, New York, including Anomaly X which won a Serious Play Awards 2016 Silver Medal and is a TIGA Awards 2016 Best Educational Game finalist. We have designed and developed games for Nickelodeon, Dreamworks, BBC, CBBC and BBC Bitesize; and worked with the National Maritime Museum, BAFTA, the Southbank Centre, Wellcome Trust and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation amongst others.
Rob speaking at New York Film Academy YouTube
Rob speaking at Edinburgh Interactive YouTube
There are far more images available for Playniac, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c05/h04/mnt/70692/domains/playniac.com/html/presskit/index.php on line 477
Awards & Recognition
- "TIGA Awards 2016 Best Small Studio Game - Finalist" - 2016
- "TIGA Awards 2016 Best Educational Game - Finalist" - Anomaly X, 2016
- "TIGA Awards 2016 Best Stratgy Game - Finalist" - Insane Robots, 2016
- "IndieCade 2014 Official Selection" - Cat On Yer Head Storybook, 2014
- "Radius Festival Featured Game" - Insane Robot Battle, 2014
- "Geek 2014 Featured Game" - Insane Robot Battle and Great Leader, 2014
- "IndieCade East 2014 Official Selection" - Great Leader, 2014
- "GameCity 8 Featured Game" - Insane Robot Battle, 2013
- "IndieCade 2013 Official Selection" - Cat On Yer Head, 2013
- "IndieCade East 2013 Official Selection" - International Racing Squirrels, 2013
- "Game Connection Selected Projects Finalist" - International Racing Squirrels, 2013
- "Channel 4 Fuel Featured Game" - Cat On Yer Head, 2012
- "IndieCade 2012 Finalist" - International Racing Squirrels, 2012
- "GameCity 7 Featured Game" - International Racing Squirrels, 2012
- "Edinburgh Interactive Featured Game" - Cat On Yer Head, 2012
- "Develop Indie Showcase Finalist" - International Racing Squirrels, 2012
- "GameCity 6 Featured Game" - Cat On Yer Head, 2011
- "Understanding Interactive Wireframes"
- Rob Davis, Develop Online
Rob Davis on Twitter
Personal Twitter account for Rob (@rbdavis) available at twitter.com.