Based in London, UK
Procedural robot survival arenas fought with fiendish card battles. It's FTL meets Battle Royale in a card game. Can you defeat The Kernel and save robotkind? Play the deep single-player campaign, quick battles or intense local and online ranked 2P multiplayer! Insane Robots is a unique card battler with a brave tale of robot rebellion. Its a quirky, "rogue-lite" 2D strategy game where you battle for survival with token-based skirmishes in random-generated arenas. Each tournament brings tales of loyalty and betrayal; cold logic and insane risk. Power up your robot, lock down your slots, hack your opponent and launch your attack. Discover branching, reactive stories; strange and rare augments; special boosts that bring surprising twists; dynamic hazards like the acid cloud or ring of death; and deadly enemy robots ready to fight you and each other. Only a cunning player can survive the tournaments, unlock enough memory fragments and overthrow the Kernel to discover the terrible truth. Coming to PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in 2018.
The core Insane Robots battle system was originally created in 15 minutes as a tabletop prototype using a pile of old business cards. This was only the start of a substantial physical and digital design process. The Playniac team has been playing and iterating the game since then, running tabletop sessions in their studio and at festivals worldwide during 2013-2014. Development of the digital game started in Jan 2015 and 15 people have worked on it including developer/designer Tom Kail (80 Days, Biome); artists Catherine Unger (Snipperclips, Detecive Grimoire, Haunt the House, The Swindle), Fran Court (Hue, Stealth Inc 2, Frozen Synapse 2, New Art Academy 3DS) and Belinda Leung (Total War, Pokemon Art Academy); illustrator Karen 'bitmOO' Teixeira (Twelve a Dozen, Oceans Heart); writers Yasmeen Khan (Fallen London) and James Wallis (The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Paranoia RPG); and designer/developer Rob Davis (International Racing Squirrels, Cat On Yer Head, Anomaly X). The game's soundtrack includes tracks by Noise 5000 and legendary French electro producer Kid Loco.
- Overthrow the despotic robot ruler
- Master the 22-token battle deck
- Survive randomly generated arenas
- Compete in intense local and online ranked 2P multiplayer
- Play the deep 15+ hour single-player campaign
- Beat deadly hazards in five arena environments
- Unlock 43 robots and find over 100 augments
- Over 150 illustrated branching story events
- No CCG - avoid costly expansions and time-consuming customisation
Insane Robots teaser trailer YouTube
Insane Robots gameplay YouTube
Interview with Keith Stuart (The Guardian) about card prototype at Radius Festival 2014 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "TIGA Awards 2017 Best Strategy Game - Finalist" London, 2017
- "Respawn 2017 Indie Game Expo - Selected Game" Cologne, Germany, 2017
- "TIGA Awards 2016 Best Strategy Game - Finalist" London, 2016
- "Amaze Showcase - Featured Game" Berlin, Germany, 2016
- "Quo Vadis Indie Expo - Featured Game" Berlin, Germany, 2016
- "EGX Rezzed Leftfield Collection" London, UK, 2016
- "Casual Connect Indie Prize - Finalist" Amsterdam, Holland, 2016
- "GameCityNights - Headliner" Nottingham, UK, 2016
- "GameCity 10 - Featured Game" Nottingham, UK, 2015
- "Respawn 2015 - Featured Game" Cologne, Germany, 2015
- "Amaze Festival - Featured Game" Berlin, Germany, 2015
- "Radius Festival - Featured Game" London, UK, 2014
- "Feral Vector - Featured Game" London, UK, 2014
- "GameCamp 8 - Featured Game" London, UK, 2014
- "Geek 2014 - Featured Game" Margate, UK, 2014
- "GameCity 8 - Featured Game" Nottingham, 2013
- "Fell in love with Insane Robots."
- What's Indie News, Website
- "It’s a robot rebellion (...) looks like a lot of fun."
- Projekt Indie, Website
- "Hearthstone meets The Hunger Games."
- Gamereactor, Website
- "Certainly turns my head (...) quite the ambitious pitch."
- PC Games Insider, Website
- "A unique gaming experience... an exceptional card battler."
- Darkworld Gaming, Website
- "I was instantly drawn in."
- GameSkinny, Website
- "I absolutely loved this game. From the procedurally generated maps to the AI logic to the great game design."
- IndieCade jury, Website
- "An extremely sticky game."
- Martin Hollis, Zoonami + Goldeneye, Website
- "Superb. A really fun game. I like the way attacks are won by the closest margin. It’s perfectly balanced."
- Richard Lemarchand, University of Southern California, Website
- "Really well tuned and tight."
- Rami Ismail, Vlambeer, Website
- "A chewy turn-based battler."
- Alex Fleetwood, Sensible Object, Website
- "I really like the fast-paced battle dynamic."
- Frank Lantz, New York University Game Center and Area/Code, Website
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Playniac makes thinky games. We're a London-based studio that produces digital games on multiple platforms and experiments with game design in all forms.
More information on Playniac, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Insane Robots Credits
Designer & Developer
Karen 'bitmOO' Teixeira
Noise 5000, Kid Loco and Audio Network
Dan and Tony Porter, The Trailer Farm